vendredi 1 mars 2019

This is Not going to be about Astrology for its Own Sake


It is going to be about a meeting I had with one who was interested in that stuff, and, well, he got the URL for this blog, so, why not here. It will have a few applications on Epistomology of Genesis.

He asked me about my sign, I told him that I was solar sign Virgo and ascendant Pisces. How do I know the ascendant? Did I go to an astrologer? No, I was born in Vienna, at 18:15, close on autumnal equinox. Vienna is close to 15° E and therefore the timezone time pretty well matches solar time. If sunset may have been like 18:15 a few weeks before autumnal equinox, sunrise would have been 5:45.

What is the relevance of this? Well, when Sun rose (this is so everywhere, all round the year) the Solar sign and the ascendant coincided, Virgo was ascending. However, we are speaking of when Virgo was at 18:00, meaning Pisces was ascending:

Pisces 06 Virgo 18
Aquarius 08 Leo 20
Capricorn 10 Cancer 22
Sagittarius 12 Gemini 00
Scorpio 14 Taurus 02
Libra 16 Aries 04


Since, at 18:15, whatever was at (solar angle of) 5:45 would be ascending, and Pisces extends one hour back and fourth from 06, i e 05 - 07. So, solar angle of 5:45 when Sun was at solar angle of 18:15 along with Virgo falls within the ball park of Pisces.

Now, it so happens, he was basically testing me, so, he wanted to know how much I knew of ascendants, funny enough me using that word if I have never studied astrology and am only sure of when two of the signs are (Virgo and Pisces). He said he was Aquarius and had Virgo in ascendant, and he said he was born 22:30. I didn't believe him, now I do, after checking.

Virgo 06 07 08 09 Pisces 18 19 20 21
Leo 08 09 10 11 Aquarius 20 21 22 23
Cancer 10 11 12 13 Capricorn 22 23 00 01
Gemini 12 13 14 15 Sagittarius 00 01 02 03
Taurus 14 15 16 17 Scorpio 02 03 04 05
Aries 16 17 18 19 Libra 04 05 06 07


As he said he was born with Virgo in ascendant, I give a table starting with Virgo 6 am.

However, Aquarius is end of January, beginning of February. Sunset is earlier than 18:00 and Sunrise later. In Brest, at end of January, Sunrise is actually 8:50, nearly 9 am. This means, we don't look at column where Virgo is 06, but where Virgo is 09. We find Aquarius at 23.

Ah, what did he say ...

Now, the lesson is not, I should have trusted an astrologer on astroogical predictions. Here is a verse with a Catholic comment:

Genesis 1:[14] And God said: Let there be lights made in the firmament of heaven, to divide the day and the night, and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years:

Ver. 14. For signs. Not to countenance the delusive observations of astrologers, but to give notice of rain, of the proper seasons for sowing, &c. M.


I think the commenter M. stands for Menochius - "Giovanni Stefano Menochio (1575 – 4 February 1655) was an Italian Jesuit biblical scholar."

Now, the lessons I do take of this encounter, by contrast, are:

  • He knew his horoscope, I should have trusted him to know (which I did)
  • He hadn't met me before, I should have trusted him to tell me the truth (which I didn't, I thought he was testing me)
  • While I am alien to astrology, I should have trusted an astrologer (or astrology geek) on technical detail about a horoscope.
  • My grasp of how ascendants and solar signs interact with each other and the time of birth was in principle correct, but very sketchy (I knew my own case was simple enough for my sketchy view to be correct), so, my science in the matter was totally inadequate compared to someone who had actually checked (which he had, he had taken the astrological theme, a k a horoscope).
  • On a very personal note, I have been exposed to so many people who could be presumed to be checking out on my coherence and grasp of things, that I am getting too wary, too suspicious, of what people, not say in general, to each other or to the public, but to me.


In a wider perspective, how I reacted to the astrology geek, isn't that somehow how many react to Creation Scientists and Creation Science Geeks?

They overestimate their grasp of technical detail (as I did, I even tried to make a clock with 12 pointers and distribute signs at one per hour, when they are one per two hours), they are over suspicious (Creationists have been presented as con men, like I was expecting con men in psychology or psychiatry trying to assess my gullibility), they don't sufficiently rely on people both knowing their own history and not having a motive of lying. If Abraham had been 50 and Sarah 40, when Isaac was born, why would they have told him they were 100 and 90? And history in general, about things that are general knowledge to a community (even if it is reduced to one beduin tribe, as the "early Genesis" lore was accessible in full purity in Abraham's tribe), works the same way. Except, a city can persuade people, what they all already know is wrong, because the élite can persuade that something else is an even more general knowledge. That is why I trust the Beduin tribe's version of Genesis over the Sumerian one (in human terms, forgetting for the moment I'm a Christian and hence believer in Biblical inerrancy). Let's not overdo the tribe's upper hand over the city : repeatedly testable things may be more testable in cities and be checkable against knowledge from further away. But preserving the tribe's ancestral history, Beduin life is superior.

Precisely as his memory of checking up the horoscope is superior to my judgement on the matter.

Hans Georg Lundahl
Nanterre UL
260 Holy Martyrs under Claudius
in Rome
1.III.2019

1 commentaire:

  1. Since I quoted Haydock comment on Genesis 1.

    Unfortunately, it is Heliocentric:

    The day is completed in twenty-four hours, during which space the earth moves round its axis, and express successively different parts of its surface to the sun. It goes at a rate of fifty-eight thousand miles an hour, and completes its orbit in the course of a year. H.

    Same verse.

    However, the good news is, Haydock found no earlier commenter to say this geocentric thing, since H. = Haydock. Compiler himself.

    Meaning, all previous commenters, including 18th C. Dom Augustin Calmet (whom Voltaire ridiculed) were not supplying the Heliocentric comments some would be wanting in England, since it was a very Heliocentric country around the time of Bessel and Herschel. As Germany had been since at least Euler, or Prussian parts of it.

    You know, like some people now want comments adapting Bible to Evolution beliefs.

    RépondreSupprimer