samedi 25 juillet 2026

Revise or Not Revise ? The Question for my Biblical Chronology


Let's assume that I don't revise.

Then Moses is born when Sesostris III is about to die, so the carbon date c. or from memory 1838 BC (from Sesostris sarcophagus) joins the date of Moses' birth in the Chronology of the Martyrology Reading of Christmas Day, which says Jesus was born 1510 after the Exodus.

If so, the real date for Sesostris' death would be around 1590 BC. Radiocarbon would have needed to be lower than 100 pmC, so that 1590 could date like 1838.

248 extra years imply an atmospheric level of 97.045 pmC.

Meanwhile, if the Exodus was in 1510 BC, that places the fall of Jericho in real year 1470 BC.

I had thought of Kenyon's date as being 1550 and thought it was a carbon date. 80 extra years = 99.037 pmC.

I have found the carbon dating of Jericho undiscussed by Creationist sites (apart from mine).

Here is another site:

Carbon-14 Dates at Jericho and the Destruction Date
https://apxaioc.com/?p=10

When the Bronze Age city of Jericho was destroyed by a fire, the burned grain and wood was carbonized, preserving some of it in the destruction layer (Kenyon, Kathleen. Digging Up Jericho, London, 1957, 261).


And:

The dates were corrected to 3300 +/- 110 BP, (Bowman, G.E., Ambers, J., Leese, M.N. “Re-Evaluation of British Museum Radiocarbon Dates Issued Between 1980 and 1984.” Radiocarbon 32, 1990, 74, BM-1790) which calibrates to approximately 1883-1324 BC, rendering the resulting C-14 date useless for settling the debate between a destruction in ca. 1550 BC or ca. 1400 BC (Using http://calib.qub.ac.uk/calib/calib.html). Another C-14 sample from this same destruction layer at Jericho gave results of 3300 +/- 7 BP, which calibrates to approximately 1618-1530 BC (Bruins, HJ and van der Plicht, J. “Tell es-Sultan (Jericho): Radiocarbon results of short-lived cereal and multiyear charcoal samples from the end of the Middle Bronze Age.” Radiocarbon Vol. 37 (1995), 213–220).


OK, sounds like I could have Jericho "carbon dated to 1550 BC" but I cannot trust it.

Therefore I cannot completely trust my equation of real 1470 with carbon dated 1550 either. But I'm not obliged to discard it.

Let's assume I revised.

First, it's a major hazzle. The tables I now use, Newer Tables: Preliminaries · Flood to Joseph in Egypt · Joseph in Egypt to Fall of Troy, took me a lot of time to elaborate. I can do it again, but given the work, I'd want some major incentive, such as being sure I was wrong and need to revise.

Second, I don't have that.

I was perfectly willing to revise ... taking Amenhotep II as pharao of the Exodus.

What If Exodus was 18th Dynasty and not 13th? · Testing for Pharao of Exodus = Amenophis II, with Three Alternative's for Joseph's Pharao · Advice, perhaps? · There Was a Time When Young Earth Creationists Wanted This Kind of Stuff

Suppose I were Wrong on Chronological Matches Related to Egypt? · If I Got Douglas Petrovich Right, Sesostris III was Pharao when Joseph Received his Family

Then Douglas Petrovich told me Amenhotep II was reigning a long time after the Exodus and Webensenu was actually not the first born son that died in the tenth plague. That kind of takes away some of the incentive. His reason was, the first born was depicted and was a prince named Thutmose, but not identic to Thutmose IV. That could be resolved with Thutmose IV taking the name Thutmose from Webensenu when he died. But perhaps the depicted first son Thutmose was also not compatible with Webensenu.

Third, if the pharao was in fact Amenhotep II, it would make the 480 years in III Kings 6:1 an exact number, while going through Judges I had come to conclude it was a minimum. Some have argued they are 480 pure years, not counting the ones under oppression. That would argue against Amenhotep II being that pharao whose first born died. And so argue against the revision.

480 Years From Exodus to Temple?

Perhaps the solution could be that 528 years are counted as 480, if the subservience to Chusan Rasathaim (8 years) and to Philistines (40 years) are not counted, like years in which one could not celebrate Pesakh not counting as real years or even not allowing Cohanim to sit down and count another year.


If on the other hand the 480 years are the exact total number, that would mean several timelines in Judges overlap.

Fourth, Jericho's carbon dated items don't decide, as quoted, but today I also found another thing not deciding:

Les inscriptions de Tal Deir Alla
https://via-egeria.com/les-inscriptions-de-tal-deir-alla-jordanie/

If the inscriptions that mention Balaam had been dated to between 1450 and 1410 BC, the carbon date, presumably coinciding with real date, in that case, would have favoured the Amenhotep II theory, and therefore revising. If the inscriptions had instead been dated to between 1590 and 1550 BC, that would have supported not revising, supported that 1550 is "the" carbon date for Jericho. But they date to neither, worse, they date to a clearly different time:

Le texte retrouvé en plusieurs morceaux couvrait manifestement un mur. L’analyse paléographique, ainsi que celle au carbone 14, permettent de dater l’inscription vers 800 av. J.-C.


This means, the inscriptions are centuries after the Biblical Balaam, whether involving a namesake son of the father's namesake ... or making literary use of a long since past figure.

They too are unable to decide.

Meaning, I can still in good conscience, pending further evidence, decide to continue using the dating calibrations already given in Newer Tables.

Hans Georg Lundahl
Paris
St. James, Apostle
25.VII.2026

Sancti Jacobi Apostoli, qui exstitit beati Joannis Evangelistae frater; et, prope festum Paschae ab Herode Agrippa decollatus, primus ex Apostolis coronam martyiii percepit. Ejus sacra ossa, ab Hierosolymis ad Hispanias hoc die translata, et in ultimis earum finibus apud Gallaeciam recondita, celeberrima illarum gentium veneratione, et frequenti Christianorum conctirsu, religionis et voti causa illuc adeuntium, pie coluntur.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire