samedi 2 avril 2022

I'm Tired


I may be getting sth wrong.

Robert Carter gets everything wrong?
Responding to even more ridiculous aspersions
Published: 10 July 2021 (GMT+10)
https://creation.com/everything-wrong


I was just watching a review of traced, which deals with Y-chromosome haplogroups.

I skim over the main part of the paper, and see no mention.

But, if we talk of alleles, as the paper seems to, there is a similar answer on a point numbered three as if it applies to Y-chromosomes. The one that caught my attention when looking at the video on Traced:

3. He claims that our model requires any given mutation in the ‘target string’ to be fixed in sequence.

No, the mutations in the target string do not have to be fixed in sequence. Again, had any of them bothered to read the original paper this would not be an issue. Any incomplete set of target letters will independently float around in the population and multiple occurrences of any subset of the target sequence can arise at any time. Stepwise fixation is simply not required. Worse, it would work in the opposite way they think. The waiting time for a series of two or three one-letter mutations is less than the waiting time for a single two- or three-letter string. How can they claim to know what they are talking about when they do not even understand these basic ideas?


"Target string" seems to imply it involves one allele, placed in one of the two chromosomes I inherited from one of my two parents.

"Target sequence" seems to imply this too.

I'm sorry if I misunderstand Carter, but is he saying, a sequence (a gene) on one chromosome can recombine letters from two parents?

It's not his model, it's the reality of inheritance, that requires otherwise. You cannot have incomplete sets of target letters independently floating around in two parents and them recombining in one chromosome of their immediate offspring. A recombination in one chromosome in grandchildren would take a stunninig streak of luck, like a crossover between two chromosomes with the breaks occurring in each of them in the same place in the same gene.

But, as I am tired (second night bereft of a sleeping bag, I was apparently robbed where I am usually staying, while off to the internet), I may of course have misunderstood something.

Even so, I am posting it./HGL

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire